The approach of the Labor Day holiday marks the end of summer and for many parents, their favorite time of year: back to school. So we thought a refresher course in back to school safety was in order, compliments of the website SafeKids.org.
Reminders for Drivers
- Slow down and be especially alert in the residential neighborhoods and school zones.
- Take extra time to look for kids at intersections, on medians and on curbs.
- Enter and exit driveways and alleys slowly and carefully.
- Watch for children on and near the road in the morning and after school hours.
- Reduce any distractions inside your car so you can concentrate on the road and your surroundings.
- Put down your phone and don’t talk or text while driving.
Reminder for Kids
- They should cross the street with an adult until they are at least 10 years old.
- Cross the street at corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.
- Never run out into the streets or cross in between parked cars.
- Make sure they always walk in front of the bus where the driver can see them.
From all of us at Michael J. O’Connor & Associates, welcome back to school! Make the most of it!